About the project
Galley to Gorgeous
The dream for this kitchen remodel was to create a gorgeous, open floor–plan. However, the existing galley was a bit of a nightmare. It was going to require removing an existing center wall that divided the kitchen and living room. After initial inspection we discovered that the center wall was not load-bearing and we could open up the entire first floor!
Relocating the kitchen sink to an outer wall made better use of the space in the center of the room and provided a panoramic view of the backyard. Re–configuring the appliances created space to add a pantry and convenient pull–out drawers for cookware next to the stove.
The biggest addition came in the form of a 5×7 island. Talk about counter space! With storage on all four sides and seating for people to gather where the action is, it became the center for conversation.
One non-negotiable component of the kitchen was the coffee bar. We made sure to include two drawers to hold all of the different K-cup blends with cabinets below to store all the appliances and components of a coffee connoisseur.
Other unique features include:
1. Pull out drawers in all lower cabinets for easy reach of any item.
2. Tip out trays in front of the sink hold brushes and sponges.
3. A spice rack located next to the stove keep seasonings close at hand when cooking.
4. Dimmable under-cabinet lighting for any time of the day.
5. Full extension, soft close drawer slides make everything in the drawer accessible.
6. Media center to store and charge cell phones and laptops, stage incoming mail, and leave notes for family members
This kitchen remodel turned the old, closed off galley kitchen, into an expansive gathering room everyone can enjoy. A place where cooking and conversation meet; where friends become family; and laughter, love, and the aroma of good food fill the air.
This kitchen went from small to spacious. Cramped to convenient. Galley to gorgeous!